If you stumbled upon the term “TFT LCD display” and you’re wondering what this display is all about, you’re in the right place. In this guide, we will share our insights about TFT LCD displays to help you understand when it’s the best choice for your application.
What is a TFT LCD display?
TFT stands for “thin-film transistor,” and LCD is an acronym for “liquid crystal display.” Put them together, and you get a TFT LCD – a flat panel display or screen you can find all over the place, from mobile devices like smartphones and tablets to TV sets and monitors.
So, how does the TFT LCD display work? This type of display is made of large sheets of transistors. Each transistor is controlled independently. A TFT screen is an active matrix screen which means that each pixel on display is illuminated individually.
Key features of TFT LCD displays
- Incredible color – top-notch clarity, contrast, and brightness of colors are characteristic features of this display type.
- Longer half-life – TFT displays have a longer half-life than LEDs and come in a broader range of configurations that can impact the device’s half-life depending on its usage and other factors.
- Selection of touch screens – a TFC display can come with a resistive or capacitive touch panel. Since resistive is cheaper, it’s usually the go-to method in many applications. But opting for a capacitive touch screen is a good idea because it’s compatible with most modern smartphones and mobile devices.
- Excellent as aspect ratio control – expect better image quality and clarity thanks to the display mapping out the number of pixels in the source image compared to the resolution pixels on display.
- No monitor ghosting – this is not an issue in TFT displays. Monitor ghosting is when a moving image and object has a blurry picture following it across the screen (and resembling a ghost).
- Incredible versatility – TFT displays come in a number of interface options that are compatible with a broad range of devices and accommodate plenty of technical capabilities.
Pros of TFT LCD displays
- Bright and sharp images,
- Faster refresh than regular LCD displays,
- Ability to show motion more smoothly,
- Lower energy consumption than regular LCD screens,
- Excellent physical design,
- Minimized eye strain,
- Fast and accurate response time,
- Space-efficient design – a TFT LCD screen can be located anywhere in your workspace on a rotational mount so you can turn it in all directions.
Cons of TFT LCD displays
- It’s more expensive than other display types,
- Some of the viewing angles are disproportionate,
- Glass paneling might restrict utility – for example, a TFT LCD display might be a poor choice for outdoor environments where the glass can showcase glares from natural lighting.
- This type of display relies on backlighting to produce the brightness since it doesn’t produce its own light. That’s why manufacturers need to build in LEDs and create the backlighting structure.
5 factors to consider when selecting a TFT LCD display
1. Battery life and life expectancy
What is going to be the length of ongoing use or duration of your project? Based on this information, you need to pick a solution that can last a long time – all the while maintaining high-quality use.
2. Accuracy in touch and type of touch technology
What kind of activities will your device support? For example, if it’s intended for extended outdoor use, then a projected capacitive touchscreen is a better choice – it’s more precise and accurate. Touch accuracy might be more important for commercial and industrial applications.
3. Response time
TFT displays usually come with faster response times and more accurate touch performance. But make sure that the one you choose delivers the right user experience.
4. Image clarity
Some TFT displays include infrared touch screens, while others are layered. Pick the former if your application is going to be used in poor lighting conditions or for outdoor and or industrial use. There will be no overlay or obstructions to light emittance.
5. The environment of your application
When picking a TFT LCD display for outdoor or industrial applications, pick one that can withstand different elements such as dust, wind, dirt, sunlight, and moisture.
Get high-quality TFT LCD displays at Melrose
We offer a custom display solution that matches the requirements of the most demanding applications. Our engineers can address any challenge and come up with a prototype that delivers the user experience you want.
Reach out to us, and our support engineers will help you achieve your goals with a dedicated project team that has years of experience in developing TFT LCD displays.